About Tristes Tropiques
- Duration: 52 min
- Director: Jean-Pierre Beaurenaut Jorge Bodanzky Patrick Menget
- Release date: 1991
- Producers: Yves Billon
- Co-production: INA La Sept Les Films du Village
- Sound: David Pennington
- Editing: Antonio Wagner de Reina
- Languages: English français
- Participation: CNC Ministère de la Culture et de la Communication Ministère des Affaires Etrangères
- Broadcast format: Betacam SP
- Distribution: Zaradoc
“I consider myself a traveller, an archeologist in space,vainly trying to restore exotism with the use of particles and fragments.” An initiatory journey on the tracks of a young, unknown ethnographer, Claude Lévi-Strauss who, from 1936 to 1938 wandered the savannahs and forests of southern Brazil, in search of a primitive world.
A visual confrontation between the photographs and the films that Lévi-Strauss took then and the film we made in the very places he visited among the Indians. In contraposition to these images, significant extracts are included from his intellectual autobiography, “Tristes Tropiques”.